Pages

Monday, March 9, 2009

Mar 8, 2009 on Lent 2 message

“Amazed and Transformed by the Holy One of God”
Mark 1:21-28

Who is Jesus? Who is Christ?

Who am I? Who are we?

From Annie Dillard and James Magaw: (Thanks to Jen for the reference)

If you ask me why I go to church, I could start with these reasons:
  • To feel better;
  • To be with people whose company I enjoy;
  • To learn about Jesus;
  • To show which side I'm on;
  • To keep people from asking why I missed;
  • To sing my favorite old hymns or my favorite contemporary songs
  • To be inspired, taught, and challenged by the sermon.
  • To be kept comfortable and safe by hearing what I want to hear
But if you ask me why I worship, you raise the discussion to another plane.

God may draw us out to where we can never return. (Do you want to go to a place from which you can never return? Do you want to leave resentment, bad habits, anger, etc. behind?)

Did you come to church today?

Or did you come to worship today?

It is how Jesus teaches that grabs attention.

Jesus brings freedom.

Jesus wants our transformation much more than he wants our amazement.

What authority does Jesus have over us?

Who is Jesus? Who is Christ?

He is the Holy One of God – sent to set us free.

Who am I? Who are we?

No comments: