Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Pray for someone you love. Tell them.

Prayer plays a significant part in the book of Jonah. As we read Jonah’s prayers, we find echos of the words of the Psalmist (3, 5, 18, 30, 42, 69, 120). Sometimes, when I don’t have words, words from scripture help me say what is in my heart.
“God, you knit _____ together in her mother’s womb. I praise you because she is fearfully and wonderfully made; you have done a wonderful work in her.” (paraphrased from Psalm 139)
“Lord, you are a shield around ______, his glory, the One who lifts his head high. You will answer when he calls. You will sustain him.  Deliver him from the enemy he is facing. May he know deep in his heart that from you comes deliverance. May he know that he is blessed.” (from Psalm 3)
“Lord, the cords of death are entangling ______; destruction is overwhelming her. Help her call out to you for help.  Hear her cries. Rescue her from the deep waters. Rescue her from the powerful enemy. Bring her into a spacious place because you delight in her.” (from Psalm 18)
Words and prayers can lift me up, helping me to move into a different space. I find it a little easier to let go of my own biases and preconceived notions, and God infuses my longings with a deeper grace, a wider love. Which Bible verses give voice to your prayers?

No comments: