Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Start Something You Have Been Avoiding

I never put off the easy things. I enjoy accomplishment too much. I never avoid small tasks that will take minimal energy; the bills, dusting, or walking the dog. I don't have a problem with avoidance when it comes to things I love either. You won't have to twist my arm to spend time with my family or finish a book I have been meaning to get to.

I would guess that this is true for most of us. Avoidance isn't an issue with the easy things or the things we love.

When avoidance presents itself in our lives is when things are hard. The issue of avoidance comes into play when we don't really want to do the thing that's required of us. Jonah reminds us of this. When presented with the task of going to Nineveh to proclaim God's message to it, Jonah went the other way. He avoided the task at hand. Jonah didn't want to go to Nineveh and he knew going there would be hard. They were enemies, he could be in serious trouble. However, the hard thing in the story of Jonah was still the thing that God required.

So what is the hard thing that you have been avoiding? That conversation? That chore? That job? May God enable us to do the hard things however small they may be. May God give us the strength not to avoid what he has put in front of us to do.

No comments: