Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

It’s Lent. Are you hopeful? For what?

A grandfather is welding in his work shop.  His granddaughter is outside looking in.  She watches him take a piece of steel and fasten it with hot iron to the frame of the bike.  She is filled with hope.  Maybe this is the fix that will allow her to ride again.  She had ridden the bike down a path that suddenly dropped off and she lost control going down the steep incline.  She had to push the bike home.  Her Dad placed the bike in the back of his pickup truck and drove her and it to granddad’s place.  "Leave it with me", he said.  He invited her to stay and watch.  She had to be careful of the glare of the hot welder spurting sparks all over. 

The sparks gave her hope.  They spoke of something happening.  Something she knew nothing about.  Something that promised a new bike.  It promised more rides.  It promised fun

In Lent we see Jesus headed toward a cross.  We know the story.  We know.  We have heard about the resurrection.  It was that place where sparks flew.  Where something was happening that we don’t really understand.  But we know it happened.  We know because Jesus was involved.  God was involved.  The Spirit was involved.  We know because like grandfather fixing the bike, we trust the hands and mind and heart and love of the God whom Jesus trusts to make all things new.  We know that with God and Jesus we always get more than we hope for. 

As you watch Jesus moving toward the final days of his life, as the shadow of cross looms larger and larger, as the sparks fly up and outward, what are you hoping for? 

I’m hoping for a larger heart, filled with what I struggle to contain at the moment.  I’m hoping for a love beyond what I can imagine to live in me and in all people.  I’m hoping for peace, joy, wonder, awe, grace, and mercy to break out. 

I’m hoping.  And I’m sure.  It’s coming.  Like the granddaughter who heard the words, "Leave it with me.  It will be alright." We have heard the same words spoken over creation.  I've heard.  I believe.  Believe it with me.   

No comments: