Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Spend Time with Someone Under Five or Over Seventy

This may seem like an odd thing to do for lent. Why would we ask that someone spends time from a different generation than them for a time of reflection? Why would we be so specific about it? The idea is that sometimes when we spend time with those of different ages, it calls to mind different perspectives on God.

I love to tell bible stories to my daughter Aspen. She listens so intently because it is all so new to her. When she learns prayers, when she sings songs, she does so with a freshness that is good for me to experience.

Likewise, I remember when I first began to learn how to play the guitar. My first guitar was my grandfather's. So when I began to play I would bring the guitar over and hew would play these old hymns and belt out baritone notes praise to his God. He taught me a lot in those songs. They were songs of faithfulness, songs of perseverance, songs of a love that had grown through his years.

May we experience newness and hope; faithfulness and steadfastness today. May we spend time with those who can help us learn timeless lessons through their freshness and experience.

No comments: