Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Live Well Today. Help Someone

The other day I was in the Walgreen's parking lot, getting ready to drive back to the church when I noticed a woman having difficulty with her cart. It was a cold, blustery day and the wind seemed to be against her. I got out of my car and helped her pull her cart to her car. She thanked me, although she insisted that she could have done it herself, and then drove away. I drove away too--I was feeling rather good. Why is this?

I don't think it is an accident that when we help people we feel good ourselves. I don't believe that it comes from the pride of helping and thinking that we are great. I believe it is deeper than that.
When we help others we are doing what we were created to do. When we serve we are bringing an act of resurrection into our current world. We were created to participate in God's good work of creation. That is why we pair the idea of living well and helping someone. This can be big or small, a service project or part of your day, it can be anything. Just live well and try it today.

No comments: